Please note that the office hours of the town building will be changing effective July 1, 2011. We will be making programming changes to comply with the new hours. Summer movies, however, will continue to be held twice monthly. On those Fridays only, the Council on Aging will close at 2:30 p.m. Otherwise the office will close with the Town Building at 12:30 p.m. Please check our calendar and newsletter for further details.
ANNUAL SUMMER BBQ with HONKY TONK piano player, Gary Langren (Cook-out, Eat-in). Wednesday, July 27, 12:00 noon. Grilled Chicken, hot dogs, a variety of salads, watermelon, foot-tapping music, door prizes and much more at the annual barbecue. Reservation required. $7.00 per person.
SUMMER SCHEDULE for BETTER BALANCE – Now on Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m to 10:30 a.m., three-week session ($19/session). New class session starts in Aug
“TWO DOLLAR COOL OFF WEDNESDAYS” IN AUGUST. Join us for a light luncheon at noon on Wednesdays in August. Enjoy the air conditioning and a welcomed mid-day hiatus from your activities. Reservations required. $2.00 per person.
Friday Movie Matinee at the COA. Showtime: 12:30pm, ENJOY self-serve popcorn, and cold drinks from our “Hospitality Cart”: Friday, July 22, ANOTHER YEAR (new release) Great reviews on this British film.
Needed: BEADS! BEADS! BEADS! The Children's Holiday Shoppe Committee needs donations of beads (glass, stone, wooden). Your donations will be used to create lovely jewelry with the guidance of Wayland jeweler Norma Radoff. Workshops will be offered this fall to participants who wish to learn jewelry making techniques while creating pieces to be sold at the 24th Children's Holiday Shoppe in December.
Ahoy! SET SAIL FROM GLOUCESTER on the Schooner Thomas E. Lannon, August 2, $70 (includes transportation, sail, luncheon, all taxes and gratuities) Sail past the Eastern Point Lighthouse and back into Gloucester harbor for a delicious lunch at the Gloucester House Restaurant. CURRENTLY WAITLISTED
TANGLEWOOD OVERNIGHT, August 28 – 29. Lorin Maazel conducts Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 plus the Tanglewood Festival Chorus performs at Tanglewood. Reserved seats inside The Shed for the Sunday evening Boston Symphony Orchestra concert. Overnight at the Williams Inn.
COA VAN SHUTTLE RIDES: Call the COA to arrange for the van to come to your home to go to Market Basket in Ashland or the “Around Town” errand tour.even the band concerts in Natick! Van will pick residents up at their homes. The van will also be available to provide rides to the Monday evening Concert On The Common series in Natick as well as to some luncheon destinations. For further info or reservations, call the COA 508 358 2990.
- July 18: Evening “Concert On The Common”, Natick
- July 19: Lunch at Gourmet Decisions Restaurant, Natick
- July 20: Market Basket in Ashland
- July 25: Evening “Concert On The Common”, Natick
- July 26: Around Town errand tour
COMING THIS FALL (Make your reservations early)
- The 2nd Wednesday BROWN BAG SEMINAR, a dynamic new monthly series with fascinating speakers starting September 14; patterned after the Lifelong Learning programs at area universities. Fall Course ($15): Sept 14, Oct. 12, Nov. 9. Noon-1:30pm. Bring your basic lunch. Appetizers, Beverage and Dessert will be provided. Sept. 14 Kick off Speaker: Kevin Lemanowicz, Chief Meteorologist, Fox News discussing the changing weather patterns in New England and the increased frequency and magnitude of tornadoes.
- SHAKESPEARE COURSE starting in October with Stephen Collins.
- WAYLAND’S IRON CHEF II returns to Sandy Burr Country Club on Sunday, Sept. 18, 2011, at 4-7pm. SAVE THE DATE for this amazing timed grilling competition! Also enjoy wine bottle ring toss, a professionaly judged timed cake decorating contest and so much more! Cheer on your favorite teams representing many different organizations. This is a fundraiser for the Friends of the Wayland Council On Aging, Inc. For info about the event, or to purchase tickets ($50), contact the Council on Aging at 508 358 2990
- IMPORTANT REMINDER MEDICAL TAXI TICKETS. The last day to use a yellow Medical Taxi Voucher with JFK transportation is June 30, 2011; these yellow vouchers can be returned to the COA for reimbursement until Sept. 30, 2011. Residents may purchase green Medical Taxi Vouchers starting June 1st; these vouchers will be valid until June 30, 2012.