Weston Drama Workshop, a youth theater organization in its 57th season, will stage five productions this July at Regis College, featuring participants between the ages of 10 and 23. All five casts have been hard at work rehearsing for these productions since early June, and in mid-July, will begin performances in the Fine Arts Center at Regis. With over 25 performances in the span of a jam-packed three weeks, Weston Drama Workshop continues its long-standing tradition of providing the MetroWest community and beyond with quality youth theater.
WDW’s younger ensemble will perform Dennis Kelly and Tim Minchin’s Matilda, an inspiring and imaginative musical based on Roald Dahl’s classic book. Directed by Aidan O’Hara, this show features a cast of 60 young actors between the ages of 10 and 14. A smaller subset of this age group will also perform Disney’s Finding Nemo, Jr., a one-act musical based on the popular movie, with a score by Tony and Grammy award-winning song-writing team Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez. Nemo is directed by Katie Brobst and Callie Llewellyn, and is a pilot production, meaning that WDW is the first to produce this version of the whimsical undersea tale. Wayland resident Anika Reichelt is Nemo’s production designer.
The program’s older ensemble, ages 14-23, will perform two main stage musicals and one black box play. Audiences will experience the trials and tribulations of young adulthood in Spring Awakening, an angsty rock musical directed by Chris Brindley; explore the world of an adolescent soccer team in the straight play The Wolves, directed by Stephanie Manning Recine; and witness the law school journey of Elle Woods in Legally Blonde, directed by Skylar Grossman. Among the young actors performing in these five productions are Wayland residents Elena Beard, Marisa Beard, Reva Datar, Harrison Dietzius, Eva Marobella, Anika Reichelt, Rosalind Ross, Meredith Schuh, and Cassie Sophocles.
Ticket information is available at westondramaworkshop.org/tickets, and questions can be directed to the box office at 781-768-7070. Performances are held at Regis College’s Fine Arts Center in Weston.
The performance schedule is as follows:
- Matilda: Saturday, July 20 at 10:30am; Monday, July 22 at 7pm; Tuesday, July 23 at 7pm; Thursday, July 25 at 10:30am; Saturday, July 27 at 10:30am
- Finding Nemo, Jr.: Sunday, July 14 at 10:30am; Friday, July 19 at 5pm; Sunday, July 21 at 10:30am; Wednesday, July 24 at 5pm
- Legally Blonde: Friday, July 19 at 8pm; Saturday, July 20 at 2pm; Sunday, July 21 at 7pm; Thursday, July 25 at 8pm; Saturday, July 27 at 8pm
- Spring Awakening: Thursday, July 18 at 8pm; Saturday, July 20 at 8pm; Sunday, July 21 at 2pm; Friday, July 26 at 7pm; Saturday, July 27 at 2pm
- The Wolves: Thursday, July 18 at 7pm; Saturday, July 20 at 2:30pm & 7pm; Sunday, July 21 at 7pm; Wednesday, July 24 at 9pm; Thursday, July 25 at 7pm; Friday, July 26 at 7pm; Saturday, July 27 at 5pm