- Whistleblower Wednesdays: A Film Series. The drama, the subterfuge, the moral dilemma….This summer, enjoy classic and modern movies about whistleblowers, showing on select Wednesdays at the library. Movies start at 6:30 p.m. Popcorn and lemonade provided.
- Take the Adult Summer Reading Challenge–Win Prizes!
- Who: Any adult with a library card.
- What: Earn raffle tickets for reading and for library-related activities. Log your progress online, call, or stop by the Reference Desk to report your activities.
- When: Tickets can be earned June 12th through August 29th.
- Where: The Wayland Library and wherever you read.
- Why: Dude–prizes! Oh, and, of course, reading is good. And so is supporting the Library.
- Cookbook Club: Cancelled. What would have been this month’s selection–How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman—will be on the menu later this year.
- One-On-One Genealogy Help.Just getting started and don’t know where to begin? Having trouble organizing and confirming your genealogy finds? Out on a limb on your family tree? Get personal help from experienced genealogists. Sign up by Sunday for a 15-minute session the following Thursday, then meet your genealogist at the Reference Desk. Every Thursday through August, 1-2 p.m. by appointment.
- Database of the Month: NoveList Plus. Covering well over 200,000 fiction and readable nonfiction titles, NoveList Plus is a complete reader’s resource. Use it to find new reads based on books you’ve liked; series books listed in order; and books based on plot or character. It also has lists of award-winning books, book discussion guides, BookTalks, and more. For younger readers, there’s NoveList Plus K-8, a wealth of information about their favorites.
- Pardon Our Plywood. Our beautiful big rotunda windows will be under repair this month, the panes removed and the frames refurbished. The work might well affect parking, and will probably take until after Labor Day to be finished. Please bear with us until then. Thank you.
BABY AND PRE-SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- Weekly Storytimes
- Mother Goose Time (Infants-2.5 years) Tuesdays, August 13 and 20 at 10:30 a.m.
- StoryVine (2.5 -5 years) Thursdays, August 8, and 15 at 10:30 a.m.
- Inclusive Playgroup: Stories, Songs, and Sign. This interactive, inclusive music and literacy group is for young children at all levels of communication and ability. Facilitated by Beverly Mobilia of Wayland Community Partnerships for Children and Families. For ages newborn to 3 years. Wednesday, August 14 at 11:30-12:15 p.m.
- Zumba. Rhythm and dance program for children ages 2.5 to 4 years old. Led by Hayley Chizinksy of H2K Happy Healthy Kids Fitness Studio. Tuesday, August 27, 10:30-11:00 a.m.
- Going into Kindergarten StoryWalk. Children going into K and their grownups are invited to this StoryWalk led by Beverly Mobilia of Community Partnerships for Children and Families. Weather permitting, we will meet on the lawn behind the library. For Kindergarteners and their parents/caregivers. Tuesday, August 6, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Star Wars Day. Calling all Jedi! Drop in for Star Wars inspired crafts, snacks, and activities. For ages 5 and up. Wednesday, August 7, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Jump Through the Solar System. Take the Solar System Challenge! Children are invited to jump from planet to planet in our Solar System! A jumping course will be set up along the rail trail behind the library. There will also be a Solar System scavenger hunt inside the library, and prizes! For ages 4 and up. Thursday, August 8, 3:00-4:30 p.m. (rescheduled from Tuesday, July 30)
- Solar Prints. Children will learn about the botanist and photographer Anna Atkins and will make their own solar prints. For ages 8 and up. Led by librarian Elise Katz. Wednesday, August 14, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Ice Cream Social. All participants in our Summer Reading Program A Universe of Stories are invited to an Ice Cream Party to celebrate their reading. Children will make their own sundaes. Weather permitting, we will meet on the lawn behind the library. Thursday, August 15, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Drop-in Legos. Build some lego creations and catch up with friends before school starts! For ages 5 and up.Wednesday, August 21, 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Teen Pizza Party and Raffle Drawing. All participants in our Teen Summer Reading Program are invited to a pizza party. We will also draw the raffle for a free Kindle Fire. Tuesday, August 13, 7:00-8:00p.m.
- Teen Movie Night: Into the Spider-Verse. Teens! Meet up with your friends before school starts and watch Into the Spider-Verse. Snacks will be served. Running time 117 minutes. Rated PG. Thursday, August 22, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
SEEKING VOLUNTEER TO LEAD A CHESS CLUB FOR YOUTH. We are seeking volunteers to lead a chess club for youth in the fall. The Chess Club would meet once a month after school. If interested please contact Youth Services librarian Pam McCuen at firstname.lastname@example.org
WAYLAND SCHOOL BUS WILL HAVE A STOP AT THE LIBRARY THIS FALL! This year, a certain number of seats on Bus 3 will be allocated each day for middle and high school students who’d like to stop at the library after school. This option is for students who are registered to ride the bus and have purchased a bus pass.