- Whistleblower Wednesdays: A Film Series.The drama, the subterfuge, the moral dilemma….This summer, enjoy classic and modern movies about whistleblowers, showing on select Wednesdays at the library. Movies start at 6:30 p.m. Popcorn and lemonade provided. August 28: The Fifth Estate (2013)
- Introduction to Knitting. Learn the basics of knitting in this hands-on session. Librarian Sarah Hogan will teach us how to cast on and knit. Participants will leave with a beginner set of knitting needles and a skein of yarn to practice with. Registration is required, limit 12 people. Recommended for ages 8 and up. Children under 12 should be accompanied by an adult willing to help. Friday, August 30, 1-2:30 p.m.
- Take the Adult Summer Reading Challenge–Win Prizes!
- Who: Any adult with a library card.
- What: Earn raffle tickets for reading and for library-related activities. Log your progress online, call, or stop by the Reference Desk to report your activities.
- When: Tickets can be earned June 12th through August 29th.
- Where: The Wayland Library and wherever you read.
- Why: Dude–prizes! Oh, and, of course, reading is good. And so is supporting the Library.
- One-On-One Genealogy Help. Just getting started and don’t know where to begin? Having trouble organizing and confirming your genealogy finds? Out on a limb on your family tree? Get personal help from experienced genealogists. Sign up by Sunday for a 15-minute session the following Thursday, then meet your genealogist at the Reference Desk. Every Thursday through August, 1-2 p.m. by appointment.
- Pardon Our Plywood. Our beautiful big rotunda windows will be under repair this month, the panes removed and the frames refurbished. (Fortunately, the plywood panels are being graced with paintings by George Dergalis, courtesy of his widow, Margaret.) The work might well affect parking, and will probably take until after Labor Day to be finished. Please bear with us until then. Thank you.
BABY AND PRE-SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- Weekly Storytimes
- Mother Goose Time (Infants-2.5 years) Tuesdays, August 20; Sept. 3, 10 and 17 at 10:30 a.m.
- StoryVine (2.5 -5 years) Thursdays, August 15; Sept. 5, 12, 19 and 26 at 10:30 a.m.
- Inclusive Playgroup: Stories, Songs, and Sign. This interactive, inclusive music and literacy group is for young children at all levels of communication and ability. Facilitated by Beverly Mobilia of Wayland Community Partnerships for Children and Families. For ages newborn to 3 years. Wednesdays, August 14 and Sept. 11 at 11:30-12:15 p.m.
- Zumba. Rhythm and dance program for children ages 2.5 to 4 years old. Led by Hayley Chizinksy of H2K Happy Healthy Kids Fitness Studio. Tuesday, August 27, 10:30-11:00 a.m.
- Ice Cream Social. All participants in our Summer Reading Program A Universe of Stories are invited to an Ice Cream Party to celebrate their reading. Children will make their own sundaes. Weather permitting, we will meet on the lawn behind the library. Thursday, August 15, 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Drop-in Legos. Build some lego creations and catch up with friends before school starts! For ages 5 and up. Wednesday, August 21, 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Teen Pizza Party and Raffle Drawing. All participants in our Teen Summer Reading Program are invited to a pizza party. We will also draw the raffle for a free Kindle Fire. Tuesday, August 13, 7:00-8:00p.m.
- Teen Movie Night: Into the Spider-Verse. Teens! Meet up with your friends before school starts and watch Into the Spider-Verse. Snacks will be served. Running time 117 minutes. Rated PG. Thursday, August 22, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
SEEKING VOLUNTEER TO LEAD A CHESS CLUB FOR YOUTH. We are seeking volunteers to lead a chess club for youth in the fall. The Chess Club would meet once a month after school. If interested please contact Youth Services librarian Pam McCuen at firstname.lastname@example.org
WAYLAND SCHOOL BUS WILL HAVE A STOP AT THE LIBRARY THIS FALL! This year, a certain number of seats on Bus 3 will be allocated each day for middle and high school students who’d like to stop at the library after school. This option is for students who are registered to ride the bus and have purchased a bus pass.