- 3D Design Workshop: Sliding Box. In this 3D design workshop, participants will design their own working sliding box. Some experience with Tinkercad is recommended but not required. Objects will be printed for free after the workshop. Ages 8 and up. Parents of children ages 6-7 are encouraged to stay and design with their children. Space is limited, so sign up online, in person, or over the phone. Thursday, February 20 at 4:30 p.m.
- Blowing Our Own Horn. In FY2019, we circulated 236,606 print and digital materials; 9,088 people attended 657 library programs; and 108,906 people walked through our doors. Those are excellent numbers for a small library, but then, we’ve always had a big presence.
- Metrowest Writer’s Guild Write-In. If you’re ready to make some progress on your novel or memoir,February is a great time to hunker down and write. We provide a quiet space, coffee, and a supportive vibe, and you bring your favorite writing tools and the story in your head. The Metrowest Writers Guild is a supportive community of writers providing monthly write-ins and workshop sessions for writers who want to grow in their craft. Saturday, February 22 at 1 p.m.
- Beaded Necklace Workshop. Join Wayland jewelry artist Norma Radoff and create your own beaded necklace! All materials will be provided. Registration is required and is limited to 10 participants, ages 16 and up. Sunday, February 23 at 2:30 p.m.
- Wayland Ukulele Club Concert. When you see how much fun they have, you might be inspired to join! And watch for a “Ukulele Flash Mob” appearing somewhere in Wayland on Sunday, March 1. Concert at the Arts Wayland W Gallery, 57 Andrew Ave, Wayland Center. Tuesday, February 25 at 8 p.m.
- Knitting Meetup. Bring your knitting projects to work on and share, and get help from librarian and veteran knitter Sarah Hogan. Enjoy tea, lemonade, and snacks. Recommended for ages 8 and up. Children under 12 should be accompanied by an adult willing to help. Wednesday, February 26 at 2:00 p.m. in the mezzanine
BABY AND PRE-SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- Weekly Storytimes
- Mother Goose Time (Infants-2.5 years) Tuesdays, Feb. 18; March 3, 10, 17 and 24 at 10:30 a.m.
- StoryVine (2.5 -5 years) Thursdays, Feb. 13, 20 and 27 at 10:30 a.m.
- Kids Yoga. Sonia Gomez from Serfi Yoga will give a yoga class for children, toddlers to age 5. Thursday, February 13, 1:30-2:15 p.m.
- Inclusive Playgroup: Stories, Songs, and Sign. This interactive, inclusive music and literacy group is for young children at all levels of communication and ability. Facilitated by Beverly Mobilia of Wayland Community Partnerships for Children and Families. For ages 1 to 3 years, with caregiver. Wednesday, February 19, 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- Prewalkers Lapsit. Together we will learn fun and interactive ways to promote early brain development. Our group includes soft songs and lap bounces, which encourage early communication. Facilitated by Beverly Mobilia of Community Partnerships for Children and Families. For ages newborn to 1 year, or pre-walkers, with caregiver. Wednesday, Feb. 26, 11:30-12 p.m.
- Kids Chess Club. Children will learn chess and get tips to improve their game. This is a beginner’s club for children with little or no chess experience. Wayland High School Junior Miranda Lee is the club leader. For children ages 7 and up. Thursday, February 13, 4:00-4:45 p.m.
- Let’s Build: Saturday Lego Time. Get together with your friends and build with legos at the library. Drop-in! For ages 4 and up. Saturdays, February 15, and 29, 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- Drop-in Craft: Food. Inspired by the book Most Marshmallows by Rowboat Watkins, we will decorate large marshmallows with edible ink and make a variety of paper food and real food projects. For children ages 4 and up, with caregivers. Led be librarian Elise Katz. Wednesday, February 26, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
VACATION WEEK SPECIALS
- Comic Drawing Workshop. Learn to create and draw your own comic book character with comic book artist Mark Parisi, creator of the Marty Pants series. For ages 8 and up. Tuesday, February 18, 2:00-3:00 p.m. Please register here.
- Animal World Experience: Winter Wonders. Educator Matt Gabriel will teach children about the amazing adaptations animals have developed to survive in winter. He will bring many live animals, including probably a chinchilla, a hedgehog, a turtle, a snake, and a toad. For ages 4 and up. Wednesday, February 19, 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- Family Movie Afternoon: Inside Out. Children are invited to watch the movie Inside Out at the library! Rated PG. Running time 102 minutes. Popcorn will be served. For ages 4 and up. Friday, February 21, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Teen Winter Reading Challenge. This winter, Wayland teens can earn raffle tickets for prizes by completing reading, activity, and social media challenges. Teens who register for the Winter Challenge will automatically earn a raffle ticket! Teens can also earn raffle tickets on Beanstack by logging reading, writing book reviews, attending teen events at the library, and tagging us on social media during weekly challenges. Teens will be able to add their raffle tickets to drawings for 3 different prize packs up until March 1st. Once the Winter Challenge period is over, we will draw names to pick the prize winners. Register on Beanstack today!
- TAB Meeting: Puppy Love. Teens! Come to our Teen Advisory Meeting and make dog toys to donate to a local animal shelter. We’ll provide supplies and snacks to munch while we make toys for puppers and doggos. We will meet in the Teen Loft. Thursday, February 13, 3:30-4:30
- Girls Who Code Club. The Wayland Public Library is offering a Winter/Spring session of Girls Who Code for girls in grades 6 and up, which will meet every Tuesday, February 25 through May 26 (except school holidays.) The club is led by parent and teacher volunteers. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Register for the club online here.
Storytime at Russell’s Winter Farmer’s Market. Join librarians from Wayland Public Library and Goodnow Library for storytime at the Russell’s Winter Farmers’ Market. Storytimes will be held on the second floor of Russell’s Garden Center, located at 397 Boston Post Road. For ages babies to 5, with caregivers. Saturdays, February 15, 22 & 29, 11:30-12:00 p.m.