- Adult Craft Kit/Tutorial: Window Stars. Let a little color into the winter with a translucent paper star for your window. Often called a “Waldorf” star and popular as school window decorations, these stars are made with folded squares of kite (or “glassine”) paper and glue. Instructions and paper are included in the kit, or you can join us on Zoom to learn and craft together. You provide glue (preferably a stick) and the ability to fold a piece of paper. Register through the Events menu on our homepage for a kit and a pickup time. Tuesday, January 26 at 7 p.m.
- ADHD in the Family: Understanding ADHD in Children and Adults. This program is for anyone who lives with someone who has diagnosed—or even suspected—ADHD. Linda King is a former elementary school teacher with advanced certifications in ADHD coaching, and nearly a decade of experience working with ADHD individuals and families. She’ll offer an overview of ADHD and its effects, along with concrete methods for living with ADHD. Register through the Events menu on our homepage. Thursday, January 28 at 7 p.m.
- ASL Basics Online Class. A live American Sign Language instructor from SIGNING Basics will teach you how to sign such phrases as, “Hello, I name ____ I” to introduce yourself, and “You Name What?” You’ll also learn new vocabulary at each session to increase your signing skills. The class comprises four 45-minute sessions on Monday, February 1, 8, 22, March 1st, 7-7:45 pm. Sign up through the Events menu on our homepage starting January 10. Limit 20 participants.
- Evening Book Group. This month’s selection is The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri. When war drives a couple from their home, the pain of their loss and the dangers of their journey threaten to tear them apart. Contact email@example.com for the Zoom link. Monday, January 18 at 7 p.m.
FOR BABIES, TODDLERS AND PRESCHOOLERS
- Storytime on Zoom. Join Ms. Pam for stories songs, puppets, and crafts through zoom. This interactive storytime encourages language development, socialization and fun. For ages 2.5 to 5 years. Please register here or on our Eventkeeper calendar if you would like to join our Zoom storytime. Questions? Please contact Youth Services Librarian Pam McCuen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thursdays, Jan. 14, Jan. 21 and Jan. 28 at 10:30 a.m.
- Weekly Facebook Live Storytimes with Ms. Carly. Join Ms. Carly for a Facebook Live storytime on the Wayland Public Library’s Facebook page. Babies through preschool age are invited to listen to stories, sing songs, and perform fun rhymes and movements. Tuesdays, Jan. 19 and 26 at 10:30 a.m.
- Kids Yoga on FaceBook Live! Sonia Gomez from Serfi Yoga will give a yoga class for children, toddlers to age 5. Her class will stream on the Wayland Facebook page on Thursday, January 14, at 1:30 p.m
- Bedtime Storytime on Facebook Live. Join Ms. Carly for a Virtual Bedtime Storytime on the Wayland Public Library’s Facebook page. Wear your pajamas and watch with a favorite stuffed animal if you want! Best for ages 0-5, but all kids and their caregivers are welcome. Wednesday, January 27, at 6:30 p.m.
FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
- What do Animals Do in the Snow?: Zoom Storytime with Ms. Elise. Ms. Elise will lead children in an interactive exploration of how animals survive the winter. There will be stories and activities. For ages 4 and up. Register here for the zoom link. Wednesday, January 20, at 3 p.m.
- Llamas! Stories and Crafts with Ms. Elise on ZOOM. Ms. Elise will read llama stories and engage children with a super fun llama craft. Register here for the zoom link. We will contact you to schedule a time to pick up a llama craft kit in advance of the program. Wednesday, January 27, at 3 p.m.
- Social Justice Storytime on ZOOM. Join Ms. Carly for a storytime that centers on social justice issues! This family friendly storytime will feature books, songs, and flannel boards that offer children and caregivers tools for meaningfully engaging with topics like anti-racism, LGBTQ+ rights, and the Black Lives Matter movement. This Social Justice Storytime is especially appropriate for children ages 3-7 and their caregivers. Please register here or online from our Eventkeeper calendar to receive the Zoom info. Questions? Email Carly Moniz at email@example.com. Tuesday, January 26 at 4 p.m.
- 6th/7th Grade Book Group on Zoom. We will be discussing The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins. Please register here or contact Pam at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join the Zoom group. Wednesday, January 20 at 4 p.m.
- Gen Z Virtual Trivia Night. Tweens and Teens trivia night! We’ll meet over Zoom for trivia about movies, sports, science, pop culture, and more. Play on your own or gather your friends on a virtual team. For ages 9-19. Register here or online from our Eventkeeper calendar. Friday, January 22 at 7 p.m.